Hello, I'm Jamie. 46 years living in Hong Kong | Tours by Locals in Hong Kong
Award Winning Private Tours in amazing Hong Kong | Former British Colony from 1841 - 1997
A lot of people have forgotten that Hong Kong was a British Colony for 156 years from 1841 to 1997 and as such a lot of foreigners have made Hong Kong their home over the years and they are just as much a part of Hong Kong culture and just as local as any local born Chinese person, I have lived here under British rule for 25 years and I have lived here under Chinese rule for 21 years so I do have a pretty fair insight into Hong Kong culture and not forgetting that an awful lot of my wife's family are local Hong Kong Chinese and my wife's first language is Cantonese.
Book today with Jamie, your host, for your unique Hong Kong Shore Excursion Tour
Why tour with 40+ other cruise ship passengers on a coach? book a Private Tour of Hong Kong with Jamie!
Cruise Ship Shore Excursion Hong Kong | Hong Kong Cruise Ship Shore Excursion Tour
Make the most of your Shore Excursion when you visit Hong Kong on your amazing cruise ship, I am an expert in organising Shore Excursions for couples, families and small groups with pick up at the at either the Kai Tak Cruise Terminal or the Ocean Terminal.
Generally most shore excursions are touted as a half day (4 hours) or full day (8 hours) tour, I would say that the best tour length would be a 6 hour or 8 hour tour - this to me is a better bet for a Shore Excursion - naturally I could also do 5 hours, 7 hours or 9 hours, the choice is yours and you are not on a bus with 15 / 30 / 50 other passengers wearing stickers and following a barely understandable guide holding a flag working to a script.
This is a private tour with no stops at jewellery shops under the pretence of watching jewellery being made and such, we use public transport and walk and you will get a full immersion into what Hong Kong is all about.
My Private Shore Excursions are perfect for those who are in Hong Kong on a cruise ship for less than 18 - 24 hours!... oh and I will make sure you do not miss your ship!
On my tours I cover the following topics (not in any order) and neither do I work to a prepared script, you can ask me anything at all, I love a GREAT conversation, what better way to learn about this fabulous city, Hong Kong
- Current affairs
- Raising a family in Hong Kong (I am married with 3 boys)
- A brief history of Hong Kong (1841 - 2018)
- The Opium Wars and I will be brief
- WW2 & The Japanese Occupation
- Languages and why English and Cantonese are still vitally important in Hong Kong
- Lucky numbers / gambling / superstitions and how they affect society and how they impact on business
- Education and why we have two school systems and why does the Government seemingly embrace academic mediocrity? whilst ignoring vocational training programmes for those who do not go to University
- Politics (and I will be very brief!) and why talk of independence can ruin your life
- Religion and trust me it is not at all what you would expect, it is such a fascinating subject here
- The current housing crisis and the crazy property bubble and why Hong Kong Government policies (or lack of them) just make it worse.
- Architecture and our amazing skylines and they really are quite stunning
- Wealth & poverty - currently the biggest gap in the world and yet we have a very stable society (for the most part)
- Homeless people and why our homeless figure is so, so low
- Day to day life in the most vibrant, exciting city in the world....
- The REAL reason you will never see a foreigner in 99.5% of "local" Chinese Restaurants... and it might just surprise you!
- Finally - I do not mince words, I tell you what it is really like in Hong Kong and why you should not believe everything you read in the press!
I naturally have some limitations and I like to be upfront about them.... I do not look like George Clooney but have been called “fat George Clooney” by the wife, I am terrible at speaking Cantonese and no, I do not have a posh English accent, I amble rather than walking like a kitted out 25 year old trail runner in spandex, I am not a foodie in any shape or form but having eaten in well over a thousand Chinese restaurants means I have an opinion, I am not a tree and plant expert but I can recognise a car from it’s profile half a mile away and no, I cannot get you into the China Club, primarily because I am not a member and I am absolutely not in any shape or form an old stuffed shirt.
Me, Jamie | take a tour with a friend who brings Hong Kong alive one story at a time | Cultural Tourism at it's best....
J3 Private Tours Hong Kong | Cruise Ship Shore Excursion Hong Kong
I do take last minute bookings for day | night Private Tours of Hong Kong
24 hours notice is just fine | check my calendar link for my availability on the menu above
I do Premium Private Tours of Hong Kong with all types | age groups | nationalities.
I am not a foodie, nor do I do specific Food Tours of Hong Kong but boy, do I know my food and I am always happy to fit in a snack / meal at your request.
I have a lot of experience in doing Private Tours of Hong Kong for Seniors
J3 Private Tours Hong Kong | Certificate of Excellence | 7 years in a row 2012 - 2018
Photographs | Photography
I do Photography Tours on the Streets of Hong Kong
If asked nicely (!) I can also do a Private Sunrise Tour of Victoria Peak
Photographs / Images appearing on this website and on my Flickr Site should be used solely as an indication of attractions. Actual attractions may vary according to the itinerary as well as the tour we do.
I reserve the right to photograph any event and participants, as well as use any images taken for promotion and/or commercial purposes without further recourse or compensation.
I do like to take photographs and will keep this to a minimum and I am always happy to take quality images of you and send them to you.
I am a bit of a photographer with specialist local knowledge of Hong Kong